Monday, February 9, 2009

Big Man On Campus

CollegeLove's own, DJ Zeke sits down to talk about the past, present, and future & of course becoming St. John's favorite D.J.


Photobucket


CH: What's your full name for those who don't Know you like that?
ZEKE: Ezekiel Akinyemi, and I'm 24 years old born and raised in Staten Island, Parkhill projects, but I live in Queens Village.
CH: What artists do you listen to?
ZEKE: Nas, I respect Jay-z, I respect Puff Daddy and I respect Lupe.
CH: What DJ's do you look up to?
ZEKE: Mister Cee, as a DJ he's amazing and DJ Enuff, is very cool and down to earth. Definitely, Grand Master Flash and Kool Herc, I got to meet both of them.
CH: What projects are you working on now?
ZEKE: Origins of Hiphop II is going to be a very big project of mine, it should be done in the next 2 to 3 weeks. And Best of the borough's, which is the top 2 or 3 artists from each boroughs.
CH: How long have you been DJing?
ZEKE: 10 years going on 11
CH: What is it about DJing that makes you want to continue, what drives you?
ZEKE: PASSION, I love DJing but I hate parties. I hate the grinding and alcohol. I have conviction. Sometimes I feel like its not what I was destined to do . I feel more comfortable sitting by myself then around a whole bunch of people.
CH: What schools do you currently DJ at?
ZEKE: Maramount, Hofstra, Stoney Brook, Adelphi, St. John's, York College, C.W. Post, City College, Brooklyn College, Pace University. I do more parties at York college than St. John's, and Pace University pays real good.
CH: What's a typical day of enjoyment for you?
ZEKE: Watching a movie at home and being with my family.
CH: What are your goals for the future?
ZEKE: Finish graduate school at Queens College, I'm getting my degree in Liberal Arts going into communication. When I finish school and I make it I want to buy my parents another house in Nigeria because my parents have given me everything. I look up to my parents both have Masters degrees. I would also like to find a woman that completes me, not just a word but a full sentence.
CH: What was the best party you've ever DJ'ed at?
ZEKE: Amazurra 2 years ago, Fat man Scoop was there, Spynfo too and we all rocked out it was packed to capacity 2,200 people.
CH: Best party at St. Johns?
ZEKE: All of the Orientation parties I did (in Montgoris) they were poppin.
CH: Where'd you get your start at DJing?
ZEKE: I started when I was 13 in a choir , Belrose Assembly of God. The choir director felt like I couldn't sing so she made me do the sound board and just press play. It was a stepping stone for a lot of things I do. My official first party was a sweet 16 party for a girl from church.
CH: What was your first party on STJ campus?
ZEKE: My first party on campus was in Dasilva Hall 4th floor. That was the party that got my buzz on campus going. I also did these underground parties in the U.C. that public safety didn't even know about, this was like 3 years ago.
CH: What's some good advice you've recieved over the years?
ZEKE: You can't have everybody in this world like you, you can try. But for every person that likes you, there's 2 people that hate you and 1 person does it in secret.
CH:What's something someone may not know about you?
ZEKE: In 2001 I went on a mission trip with my Church. It was kinda my first experience as a missionary, there was 18 of us on the trip including my sister. We went to Malawi(Southeast Africa) Malawi is so poor it's a real eye opening experience. They thought I knew their language. I got the chance to perform for the kids, a friend and I dressed up as clowns and they chased us around these large fields and we made them balloon animals, some of the balloons broke and just to have a piece of rubber the kids were so happy, that brought a tear to my eye. They treated us like celebrities, this world is so small but everbody treats it like it's so big.
CH: Is there any competition?
ZEKE: I see young kids coming up, Kolin Mendez a.k.a. DJ Nemesis, Drew a.k.a. DJ Sour, and I always embrace them, build them up.
CH: Do you plan on retiring from St. John's in the near future?
ZEKE: Once I see someone can hold down the responsibility I will leave it in the hands of someone else. But not until I get on the radio and I've made my job.


"I don't know what it means to make it,but I guess when I get there, I will."-ZEKE

1 comment:

  1. GO DJ, THATS my DJ..CollegeLoveEnt.com Official DJ we going straight to the top get Familar

    ReplyDelete